HOW SHOULD YOUR V SMELL.
Not everyone's vagina would smell the same. And your vagina doesn't need to smell like a field of flowers.1 You'll notice that slightly acidic scent due to the presence of lactic acid in your vagina. And a healthy vagina will have a range of different scent throughout the month. During various points of your menstrual cycle, your unique smell will fluctuate between a stronger and more subtle scent.2 And you shouldn't be worried about these changes.
Here are some smell descriptions to take note of:
- Strong, pungent smells are abnormal.3 unusual discharge.
- Musky scent means that you're wearing clothing that's too tight.2
- Metallic smell (like iron) during period means it's the smell of blood and that's natural.2
When a sniff should cause you to worry, such as unpleasant and strong odour, it may be time to consult a doctor. You don't want the infection to get worse.
- Webmd. Why Does My Vagina Smell? Available at http://blogs.webmd.com/womens-health/2014/10/why-does-myvagina-smell.html. Last accessed April 2018.
- Bustle. Does My Vagina Smell Healthy? 5 Common Vaginal Odors, Explained. Available at http://www.bustle.com/articles/64679-does-my-vagina-smell-healthy-5-common-vaginal-odors-explained. Last accessed April 2018.
- Mayo Clinic. Symptoms - Vaginal odor. Available at http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/vaginal-odor/basics/definition/sym-20050664 Mayo Clinic. Symptoms - Vaginal odor. Available at